The Celtic Graves Society is proud to announce that there will be a ceremony to mark the restored resting place of
First Celtic President
At St Peter’s The Good Shepherd Cemetery, Dalbeth, near Celtic Park on Sunday 21st August 2011 at 12 noon
Attendees at the event will include:
Peter Lawwell, Chief Executive, Celtic FC
Members of the Glass Family
Jim Craig – Celtic Graves Society Patron
A Blessing will be given by Monsignor Smith from St Mary of the Assumption Church, Calton. All Celtic supporters are welcome to attend and flowers/tributes can be laid at the graveside.
“The man to whom Celtic owes its very existence.” – Willie Maley
John Glass, a son of Donegal, was a parishioner of St Mary’s in Abercromby Street, the Calton who was active in a number of local religious, political and charitable bodies until his involvement in the formation of Celtic. Regularly referred to as Brother Walfrid’s right hand man, John Glass was influenced all the key moments of the club’s early years and went on to direct the club to its first successes.
At the time of his untimely death in 1906 Celtic were the pre-eminent football force in the land – and a shining beacon of hope for the community from which it sprang. The headstone of John Glass has now been restored thanks to the efforts of the Celtic support.
We hope you can join us at the ceremony and after at the Celtic Club on London Road prior to kick-off against St. Johnstone at 3pm. For more information please visit:
where donations to the work of the Celtic Graves Society can also be made. Please join the CGS to help us achieve our aims for the year ahead.